Friday 19 October 2012

Skywatch Friday - Safe Landing, Safe Journey

St Edith's Church, Monks Kirby

The reason I took this photograph was to capture the church flag at half mast, a symbol of respect.  (More about that in the paragraph below.)  When I got home and had a closer look on the computer, I discovered a bird was in the frame of two shots.  Windy day it was, but our friend negotiated a 'safe landing' on the church flag pole (below).


Much of the land that is Monks Kirby was at one time owned by the family of the Earl of Denbigh.  The Dowager Countess of Denbigh, who married the 11th Earl of Denbigh, passed away recently.  She was the mother of the present 12th Earl of Denbigh.  Her funeral was here on Monday.  'Safe journey' home.

Here is the link for more Skywatch Friday photos:  SKYWATCH FRIDAY.   

Have a super weekend all.   

NB.   'Dowager' is a widow who holds a title derived from her deceased husband.


11 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

does the flag always fly at half mast? we fly the flag here at half mast when there is some sort of tragedy...beautiful place that is!

LOLfromPasa said...

I think you missed the paragraph at the end, Tanya. So I have added a sentence to make it clear there is more to read. Thanks - you helped me :).

Paul in Powell River said...

I like the shots, but I'm not high on showing respect for inherited titles. Now if the Dowager had actually accomplished something in her own right ...

LOLfromPasa said...

Paul...She did.

LONDONLULU said...

Wonderful photos of this church but also that bird landing - what a nice surprise when you opened the pictures on your computer! Also, an unusual capture with the flag at half-mast...a lovely choice for Skywatch Friday. (Thanks for the heads-up re: Petrea's comment, that is so cool!:)

Joyful said...

I like your photos and the information about the Dowager. Happy SWF.

TheChieftess said...

Rest in peace..

LOLfromPasa said...

Thank you, Joyful...and nice of you to visit me.

Kind thoughts, Chieftess. Lovely.

Petrea Burchard said...

I always love the old buildings and the history that goes with them. Modern life turns daily into history as well.

LOLfromPasa said...

Petrea..this church dominates the skyline from afar. Amazing as you approach...will photograph someday. Like your thought re 'history'.

Gerald (SK14) said...

I always love it when I find a bird captured on a photo - it's the kind of thing you can't plan for.