Monday 4 February 2013

London Taxi - Made In Coventry

Did you know that these iconic taxi cabs were built here in Coventry?  Long may that continue!


It was announced on Friday that future of the London 'Black Cab' is secure.  By chance, I was in the neighbourhood of the factory (Mr LOL had a dentist appointment nearby).  So I got this photo through the front gate.

The factory is behind a BMW dealership.  Interesting that their BMW sign is strategically placed.


British motor industry has changed significantly.  It wasn't that many years ago when Coventry was to England what Detroit is to America.  I found this list of manufacturers in Coventry on the internet which suggests that the London Taxi Company (LTI) is the only one left.

Well, time to go to the cinema yet again.  'Argo' is back.  Missed it the first time.  Have a good day!

13 comments:

Daryl said...

love that man shooting the cabs .. loved Argo ..

SRQ said...

You weren't the only one to see a nice photo opp.! Unfortunately, Detroit and the auto industry has been suffering for many years and I doubt it will ever turn around. Nice to hear the classic black cabs are here to stay.

LONDONLULU said...

That is very relieving news indeed, I remember learning of Coventry also manufacturing important parts for WWII aircraft (or maybe I just muddled that up as usual). It's incredible how long that list is, and only one left now! Oh, love both captures too:) (Hope dental appt went well)

TheChieftess said...

Love those cabs!!!

Chrissy Brand said...

You live and learn with City Daily Photo Blogs! Like it.

Stefan Jansson said...

I saw that on the news today Geely buying another car company. Good to see that the taxi's will be around for a while longer.

Adele said...

Wow! That's really interesting. Love the photo of the cabs. I've always thought they're so cool looking.

Jack said...

Some things -- like black London cabs -- need to be preserved. Just "because!"

Argo was good, wasn't it?

Petrea Burchard said...

I love this photo, love the bricks, the windows, the cabs. My car resembles a London cab, and that's one reason why I like it.

Paul in Powell River said...

Ah, the Black Cab - though I note a white one snuck into your pic. I'm always reminded of hurrying to the train station in the early A.M. to catch my train to the Continent, and getting thoroughly ripped off by the cabbie, who knew I had a train to catch. Funny in retrospect, but I wasn't amused at the time. :)

Tanya Breese said...

love these! you always see them in movies zipping around! funny, adele has a doggy taxi today!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Yes a cheeky little white cab seems to have slipped into the line up.. London wouldn't be the same without these icons, nicely shown LOL.

LOLfromPasa said...

Golly, days have gone by and I haven't acknowledged your comments. Thank you. Some of you noticed the white cab. A lot of advertising goes on many of these black cabs now resulting in some unusual colors.

Nice to see Powell River Paul making an appearance here.

Lulu, you got it exactly right. The manufacturing that took place here in Coventry sadly made it a target. Yes, the dentist appt resulted in no drama, phew!