Thursday 13 December 2012

Thatched Roof Thursday #9 - Coventry




I found a house which is in the early stages of being re-thatched.  It is cold out. That is frost on the roof.  The nice man up there explained that the old thatch has to be removed before renewing the thatch.  It will take about 3 weeks.



Cruck House, Hinckley Road, Walsgrave, Coventry

This thatched house is possibly late 1700's and is described as a Medieval cruck timber frame (Grade II listed) building. Can't wait to see the progress of re-thatching.

6 comments:

Cloudia said...

glad these skills live on-



Warm Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° >

> < 3 3 3 ( ' >

Jack said...

This would be fun to watch.

Petrea Burchard said...

Fantastic! I'm so glad you got photos. Maybe you'll update us later on?

Anonymous said...

I'm so fascinated by old traditions like this. Like Cloudia, I think it's wonderful this way of roofing continues. I wonder how often thatch needs to be replaced?

Tanya Breese said...

you can really get an idea of how tall that roof is seeing him working up there...i always feel for those people that have to be out and work in the weather, be it hot or cold...i'm such a wimp!

LOLfromPasa said...

Stayed tuned. Hopefully I can get more photos during the transition. Thanks so much for your comments.

Yes, Tanya, I can imagine working in those conditions either.