Monday 3 December 2012

Bayley Lane - A Little Family History

Before WWII my husband's mum and family lived here (to the right of where I am standing).  The buildings are all gone now.  

Bayley Lane, Coventry

Before the war in 1936, his mum was married in Coventry Cathedral because that was her Parish Church and soon after moved outside Coventry.  During the bombing of Coventry, her father and brothers still lived in Bayley Lane and survived.

The building on the left is part of Drapers' Hall.  (I will cover that building in another posting some day.)  The Old Cathedral is straight ahead and the New Cathedral is beyond.  The brown panel on the right is one of about 6 steel panels naming businesses that were here before the war.

Old Coventry Cathedral,
Bayley Lane 
PS.  Happy Birthday, Peter!


7 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

Lovely view of the old cathedral remains. I remember people organising a trip to the opening of the rebuilt cathedral but for some reason I never went - can't remember why not.

LONDONLULU said...

What a wonderful family tidbit and very fitting and moving for today's photos - thank you for sharing it. I do love that they kept the old cathedral around and never built on top or removed it. (I marveled at those golfers yesterday - the visibility really was minimal - and thought of you when I snapped that photo!)

Jack said...

Being in Coventry during the war must have been extraordinarily hard.

LOLfromPasa said...

I am a big fan of the old Cathedral, Gerald...!

Lulu...You are so right keeping the Cathedral as it is. (I loved your golfing shot...do some more!!!).

Jack...the reminder is there for all.

Leeds daily photo said...

These were testing times, some people were lucky and others were not. My mothers family lived in the East End and she was evacuated for a while. Oddly my fathers family suffered more during the bombing of Bristol.

Leeds daily photo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LOLfromPasa said...

How interesting Paul B.